Sunday, January 16, 2011

005/100 - #077 All The President's Men

I remember watching All the President's Men in a high school government class. I vaguely remember enjoying it, but wasn't necessarily  thrilled to be watching it again. Before I sat down to watch, I wanted to refresh my memory about the true identity of Deep Throat with a quick Google search. I am so glad I did, it made the movie seem that much more believable and impactful. It also helped to read Hal Holbrook's portrayal of the unknown source was fairly accurate in the film.

As someone who is admittedly not a huge Dustin Hoffman fan, I was impressed yet again. What a fabulous pairing he and Robert Redford make! It's like the smart-guy's buddy movie in a sense. Not that the characters are the best of friends but the relationship onscreen is outstanding.

I was born the year the Watergate break-in occurred. I know the basic facts about the event and the outcome. I forget sometimes how BIG an event that really was, how it continues to color our view of politics and presidents and power. This story certainly remains relevant today. Not only does it continue to be talked about in the press and in political conversation, it has a place in modern movies (Dick is a must-see satirical take on the Nixon White House and Watergate) and pop culture as well. Who amongst has has never put up the peace signs and growled, "I am not a crook"?

While my husband thought the movie moved slowly, I did not. I thought it was quick and intriguing and perfectly paced. This is a movie I would sit down and watch again if I saw it on late-night TV and a movie I will continue to talk about as being important for every American to watch.

All the President's Men is based on the book of the same name by Woodward and Bernstein. I rated All the President's Men 5 out of 5 at Netflix and 10 out of 10 at IMDB. And I have already purchased Dick to watch again. Love that movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment